Becoming a Firefighter / Medic
If you want to become a Firefighter/Medic, it is important to understand what a career in public safety is all about. This is usually a lifelong job that gives honor, pride, and sense of family. It requires a high level of dedication to make a difference in peoples' lives.
When first employed, the recruit will complete a 22 to 24-week recruit academy focused on providing training in both fire suppression and emergency medical services. This training requires intensive study and practical exercises, rigorous physical training and a desire to be successful. Within 48 months of completing the recruit academy, firefighters without advanced life support (ALS) certification must obtain promotion to Firefighter/Medic.
- Personal History Questionnaire
- Questionnaire Review
- Written Test
- Panel Interviews
- Chief’s Interviews
- Offer of Employment
- Hired for the Academy
Interested candidates must submit a Spotsylvania County online application. Applications are only accepted online. To apply, visit our jobs section. Please provide an email address for notifications and status updates.
Please note the email you provide on your application will be the primary means in which you are contacted and notified throughout the hiring process. Call Spotsylvania County Human Resources at 540-507-7290 if you need assistance completing your online application.
Minimum Requirements for Candidates to Apply
- Minimum of 18 years of age by the date the application process closes. There is no maximum age limit. However, all candidates must be able to successfully pass the Department's Candidate Physical Ability Test.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Possession of or eligibility to obtain a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License. Please note: A candidate's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) record can have no violation for:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)/Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) in the past 3 years (36 months)
- Reckless driving in the past 3 years (36 months)
- Operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license
- A hit and run at any time
- Negligent homicide at any time
- Aggravated assault with a motor vehicle at any time
- Use of a motor vehicle while committing a felony at any time
- More than two moving violations within the past 3 years (36 months)
- Any two combinations of moving violations and accidents in the past 3 years (36 months)
After application review, you will receive an email with the Personal History Questionnaire. You have fourteen days from the date the email was sent to complete and return all required documents.
If mailing the packet, please mail it to:
Spotsylvania County Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management Administrative Office
P.O. Box 818
Spotsylvania, VA 22553,
If delivering the packet in person, please deliver to:
9119 Dean Ridings Lane
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
You may deliver the packet during our normal business hours which are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please have these documents prepared in advance to submit with the questionnaire. The required documents must be legible.
- Proof of high school graduation or general educational development (GED)
- Proof of college credits/degree (if applicable)
- Current official Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driving history record- must show driver points (must have been run between TBD )
- Photocopy of military discharge form DD-214 or NGB-22 National Guard (if applicable)
- Proof of graduation from a career fire department recruit school (if applicable)
Documents become property of Spotsylvania County Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management and will not be returned. Incomplete questionnaires can jeopardize moving forward in the process.
Spotsylvania County Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management will further review and verify information provided by each candidate on their application. The Personal History Questionnaire will be reviewed and evaluated.
After submission of the online application and Personal History Questionnaire, those candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the position of Recruit Firefighter will be invited to sit for a written test. Those candidates that score above the established cut-off will advance to the next step in the process. A photo ID is required for test entry, such as a driver’s license or military ID.
Top candidates will be contacted by the Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management regarding the scheduling of a panel interview. A Virginia Office of EMS required FBI fingerprint check will be initiated upon being interviewed.
Candidates that are rated highly qualified will be scheduled to interview with the Fire Chief or a Deputy Chief.
The candidates that are offered conditional employment must still pass four more evaluation steps. Candidates that pass these steps will be offered a final offer of employment.
- NFPA 1582 medical/physical examination
- Drug test
- National and state criminal history records check
- Secondary Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driving history check
Candidates that accept the final offer of employment will then be notified of when to report to the Spotsylvania County Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management Recruit Academy. All candidates are required to successfully complete the twenty-two to twenty-four-week academy, regardless of previous firefighting qualifications or experience level.